Tuesday 9 June 2015

I have (almost) walked in the footsteps of heroes......

Greetings Gentle Readers,

No - nothing to do with D-Day, the Normandy Landings nor Operation Overlord, despite it recently passing its 71st anniversary. So what am I blathering on about? Well, I was enjoying Matt's tale of his visit to Wilton Castle over on his Ubique blog when it reminded me that the Current Wife and I enjoyed a very sunny day out at Old Wardour Castle in Wiltshire a few years ago, which just happened to be where Kevin Costner filmed some of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

Robin Hood has (like King Arther, John Carter, Tarzan and the Three Musketeers) been a hero of mine since boyhood, and despite its critics, I still enjoy the Costner film to this day, despite all its faults, in the same way I still love Braveheart! Like Braveheart it also has a cracking soundtrack which I have just made my painting music this week - very stirring!

So it was that after a boozy night in nearby Salisbury we ventured the next day to Old Wardour Castle. Rest assured this castle is extremely well-defended, mainly by tiny rural backroads, a lack of signposts, and a Brigadoon-quality elusiveness that almost had me giving up and going back to the pub. However, once we turned into the empty car park it was all worth it:



The place is absolutely beautiful - in the film it doubles as the dilapidated Locksley Castle. In reality it was the site of a siege during the English Civil War and was blown up deliberately apparently, although much of it remains, even the upper works which give spectacular views over the nearby (man-made) lake:



Above you can see the grotto near which Robin buried his father, with the help of Duncan and Nazeem:


I have no doubt Kev's celebrity backside graced the same seat as I
The internal details of the castle are also worth a look:





I know what you're thinking - That Ray Rousell's lost weight!


But of course, as far as I was concerned the only important thing was that I had almost strolled in the footsteps of one of my heroes (Robin Hood - not the American chap)!




Until next time......



No comments:

Post a Comment